Hello – I was reviewing some tips included in the travel documents for a group trip going to Mexico that one of our Escape Artists had prepared…I thought they were excellent, so I thought I would share them with you. There are many more, so I will be sure to share them with you more often. If you have any that you would like me to post, please comment below or send me an email. Matt.
1. Bring $1 bills for tipping maids, bellman, and bartenders as getting change in U.S. dollars for larger bills may be difficult there. The tips are included at most all-inclusive resorts but you tend to get outstanding service for the duration of your vacation when you give the wait staff and bartenders extra tips early on and throughout your stay.
2. Bring a photocopy of your passport (and keep it separate from your
passport) in the unfortunate event your passport is lost or stolen.
3. If you are worried about Montezuma’s Revenge, eat yogurt every day for a week before you go and while on vacation. The cultures and enzymes strengthen the digestive system. Taking 2 Pepto-Bismol tablets each morning can also help ward off stomach problems.
4. Reapply sunscreen often! — It doesn’t work if you just put sunscreen on in the morning. You need to reapply every few hours especially if you go into the water. For those who live in the north, the sun is a lot stronger in Mexico.
5. Hydrate throughout the day! — If you spend all day in the sun, and partake in a few adult beverages at night, you need to get some water into your system. And the ice in piña coladas counts.
6. Don’t fall for the timeshare talk. When most people go on vacation, they want to spend every minute of it doing something that’s enjoyable, rather than sitting in a room and having someone trying to sell them a timeshare property. Remember, nothing is for free.
7. You will receive a form to fill out before you can enter Mexico that is your temporary visa. It will get stamped when you go through customs. Stash this away with your passport in a safe place, as you will need it in order to exit the country!
8. If you like to read, bring plenty of magazines and books. Sure, you can buy them at the hotel gift shop, but they’ll be triple the price. And if you finish your book early on in the trip, check to see if your hotel has a book exchange where you can trade your book for one that someone else has already finished.
Enjoy Your Escape!